Cranberry Cinemas in Melbourne has announced it will close on September 25 and re-open on October 6.

Cinemas owner Tony Gorman says the closure is part of a wider restructuring to “make sure we have the right people and the right products”.

He said the changes would allow the company to focus on the things that make it different and he said the closure would help bring back the cinemas to the “right place”.

“We’re very excited about the fact that we’re going out of business, but also to look at what we can do to make sure that we keep our customers happy and continue to be here and to be a family-friendly destination,” he said.

Cranberry announced the closure of the cinema last year and a number of closures had been announced over the years, including the shut down of the Cranbourne Cinema and the closure in 2012 of the Port Phillip Cinema.

Crenbourne Cinema was one of the first major cinemas in Australia to close in 2016.

“It’s an incredibly sad day for us and for our community,” Cranberry’s chief executive David Atherton said.

“Cranbourne was the most successful and exciting cinema in the state, and we’ve all lost a member of the family over the last year.”

Cranberries sister cinema, the Port Stephens Cinemas, will reopen in the city on October 5.

Tags: